Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Salad dressings

When we moved to Wisconsin and I finally got a kitchen that was big enough to cook comfortably in I started serving only home made salad dressings. When you look at the garbage in the store bought stuff your like "do I really want to eat that junk"? So here's a few of the ones I have been serving here.

Asian Style Ginger Soy Dressing

1 carrot
1 3 inch piece of ginger peeled
3 cloves garlic peeled
1/2 onion peeled

Chop in a food processor or blender until fine.

Add
1/4 cup sugar or splenda
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup water
2 TBS sesame seeds

Blend well until combined

French Dressing

1 cup ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1 TBS chopped garlic
1 TBS dried thyme leaves
1/3 cup sugar or sugar substitute
1/2 cup water
3 cups vegetable or corn oil

Blend everything well except for the oil & water. Add the oil with the blender running. Thin out with the water to a pourable consistency.

Italian Dressing

2 TBS capers
2 TBS caper juice
2 TBS chopped garlic
1 TBS dried oregano
1 tsp blk pepper
1 tsp salt
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 cups oil

Blend everything in the blender until well mixed.



2 comments:

Mary said...

Fresh ginger root, sesame oil, capers, balsamic vinegar... how the midwest has changed in the 30+ years since my grad school days there! :-)

Donna's Journey said...

Fr. Moses, your Asian dressing is somewhat similar to mine. . .I add rice vinegar, I use brown sugar, I add some ketchup (I know that sounds weird) and some mayo. I have so many people after me trying to get the recipe but I can't give it to them because I don't measure antyhing. When I do- it screws it all up. You having been a chef, I figure, will be able to figure it out! :) Love to all of you! We miss you!